Falling in love again

One of my favorite parts of BlissDom - hanging out with my baby boy

It seems to be a recurring theme at Blogging Conference tables – I’m going to step back. I am going to re-prioritize my time, I am going to be more present for my family and spend less time online.  At least this is how I often feel after conferences, and BlissDom was no different.

I had such a fabulous time. Seeing old friends, making new ones, and strengthening my resolve that this is what I love to do. But, just because this is what I love to do doesn’t mean that I can spend all my extra time on it.

I have been feeling like my writing has been really lacking lately. There is so much I want to say and I just can’t get it out. I want to fall in love with writing again and am trying. One of the sessions I went to was taught by Jeff Goins – how to fall in love with writing again – oh I needed this one. He advised to write everyday, practice. I don’t know why we don’t think to do this, we wouldn’t expect to do anything else well without practicing, why would this craft of writing be any different?

I came away from BlissDom with these goals

• Write Everyday
  • Get up early to write – 5 am is my friend
  • Tell my story
  • Make myself and my hobbies a priority
  • Create my life plan

I am going to write dangerously, fiercely and create to fill my soul. I am going to feed my soul so I can in turn feed the souls of my little people who need so much.

There is so much more, but time is lacking and I just had to write and get this all out there today.

If you went to BlissDom, what did you come away with? What did you learn? What new goal did you set for yourself?

Also? Just Write.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. I agree — I walked away the need to right every day. But now that I’m back to reality, I think that’s going to be a struggle. However it shall be a goal to work towards!

• kborchert says:

Yes Ellen!! It is easier to say it all in my head when I am at the conference and there aren’t dishes and laundry for me to want to avoid ;) I tried getting up early this morning and as soon as I was downstairs the baby woke up, so it was back to bed for me. I was really sad and now, here I sit at 9:49 am while he sleeps and Libby watches Dinosaur Train. *sigh*

2. Like you and Ellen, reality distracted me from writing over the last two days…but I’m working toward it. I will practice! Also? E might have been one of my favorite parts of the conference too :)

3. tawnya says:

The things I’m scared to post and write about (like today!) are usually the things that mean the most to me, in some way. I wrote every day last year and it was so, so good for me. Good luck!

• kborchert says:

That is SO true. The hardest things to write about are hard because we are having to dig deep into something we may not want to think about.

4. I came away totally inspired and recharged and re-energized and exhausted and happy and exhausted.
    Hugging you and seeing you multiple days in a row with that precious package of love you were bundling around <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
    LOVE to YOU <3

5. I’m most thankful that I got to just be with you. Like, it was no big deal that you were there and I was right next to you. That’s how I FEEL like it should be. :) And I am excited to read your dangerous writing. I will be doing the same. Hopefully LESS posts, but more power in the ones I do publish.

LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steph

• kborchert says:

Yes, less posts but more power in what I share. Just because I write every day doesn’t mean I have to publish every day. ;)
      Also? It was so fun sitting there with my dear friend who I felt like I’ve known forever (that’s you by the way).

6. Heather says:

It sounds like there were so many good sessions. I’m so glad you got to go. And you know me…I believe in writing dangerously and I believe you’re good at digging deep and letting go and I believe that you’ll find the time and except yourself when you can’t. Love you.

7. DB Landes says:

I came home from Blissdom and was completely overwhelmed by the mounds of housework ahead of me after 5 days of being absent from the house. I need to just find the me time to write without distraction. Reading everyone’s falling back in love posts is rekindling that feeling I had during the conference.

• kborchert says:

I know that feeling. I am slowly coming out from under the mounds of laundry…the sun is starting to peek through :)

8. Bridget says:

That life plan thing has been swirling in my head non-stop. But I came home to a little one with RSV so there hasn’t been much writing happening…

9. nicole says:

He is so cute. I wanted to steal him.

So, you saw me cry. I think you know where I am at. 5 am is not my friend though. Maybe I need to try again.

I loved meeting you and hugging you. You were glowing the whole time–I think that you are getting to a really good place. You are doing things for yourself that need to be done so that you can be who your kids and husband need you to be. But you have to take care of you first sometimes, no matter how hard it is or how wrong it feels. But you’re getting there. I could see it.

• kborchert says:

It was so great meeting you too. It felt like picking up with an old friend. I love when that happens.

10. Yes! Write daily! It’s such a powerful practice – even if you can only squeeze in 5 minutes a day. If you ever need ideas to get the writing flowing, this book is awesome: “A Writer’s Book of Days” by Judy Reeves. I’m hosting a book club for writers at Bigger Picture Blogs and we’re reading that book together. If you’re interested, you can join in with us here: http://biggerpictureblogs.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/book-club-bigger-picture-reads/

11. I came away with so much. BUt i’m so glad I got to spend a little bit of time with you! xoxo

12. AmazingGreis says:

I came away with a new friend, and she only lives 2 hours away…pretty great!!

So glad to have met you and baby E. Such a doll. Can’t wait to see you soon.

I also came away with wanting to write more and maybe be off-line a little more too. It will take work, but I’ll get there.

• kborchert says:

I am the same way Greis! I need to step back more, and close all my tabs at the top of the screen ;)
      Can’t wait to see you next weekend!

13. Carrie says:

I am so glad I got to meet you in not monetizing our joy! And you’ve posted several times whereas I’m still marinating on things! lol. You’re doing so much better than I am. Of course, all I want to do since I got back is SLEEP and I have a birthday party at my house this weekend. Oy.

• kborchert says:

But that’s just the thing Carrie – we all just go from where we are and what we can do. I guarantee that I will write everyday for a week or so, and then I will miss a day, then two, then…yeah, you know how it goes! :)

have fun with the birthday party this weekend!

14. Elaine says:

I’ve heard so much about that session. I’m really sorry to have missed it. And YOU. But at least I get to see and HUG you soon!! :)

15. Carmen says:

What did I come away from Blissdom with? A BEAUTIFUL dress that you made and the desire to read here!

16. Kristin Shaw says:

You continue to inspire me, Kim! I’m so glad you’re in Austin so I can hug you.

Trackbacks

1. My Bliss says:

[…] Wednesday will be the third time I’ve been blessed enough to attend the BlissDom Conference. For the second year in a row, I get to be a Community […]